Saturday, July 14, 2012

Back to the Drawing Board.....

Wimbledon is over and the final lived up to the hype.  Even people who do not normally watch tennis, watched this final.  Both men were teary eyed at the end.  The Scotsman who had the hopes of the host country on his shoulders who hadn't had a finalist in the Championships since Bunny Austin in 1938, who by the way was the first player to ever wear shorts playing tennis in 1932.  And possibly the best player ever, the steady Swiss who had the opportunity to match a record for most Wimbledon singles wins (male), and win his first slam in 2 years at the ripe old age of 30.   Roger Federer and Andy Murray both played possibly their best tennis that day and Federer was the one who held up the trophy at the end.  But there is still time for Murray and a whole country now has to wait another year.

I did finish the 2 pieces I was designing for Plymouth Yarn during Wimbledon, sort of.

I designed a simple moebius in a beautiful new sock yarn called Sakkie.  It is 40% kid mohair, 40% superwash merino and 20% nylon and totally yummy.  Of course it doesn't hurt that the yarn they sent me was in shades of green.  Simple moebius may be a contradiction in terms, since to cast on a true moebius is not simple.  However, once you master the cast on it is smooth sailing.
Whereas Sakkie is subtle, Gina is spectacular, especially in entrelac.  Everywhere I took my knitting there were oohs and aahs, just like the fireworks.  The bad news is that the finished garment did not fit the way I had hoped, it was acceptable and could be photographed so that it looked like it fit properly, but that would not be fair to anyone knitting my pattern.  Fortunately I was not trying to meet a deadline for a magazine or a book (sour grapes?) and I can go back to the drawing board and tweak the design until I get it right.

Speaking of Plymouth, they just published a sweater I designed for them last year.  It is a very wearable unisex pullover out of their Worsted Merino Superwash.  It is pattern #2378.  It has an easy to remember repetitive pattern, just enough to break up the monotony of stockinette stitch. 
I first made a version of the sweater in the Plymouth's Chunky Merino Superwash for a quick Christmas knit.

Have you ever knit something that didn't come out just right, and after re-examing the photo realizing that perhaps it was hiding an inherent problem in the design itself?
Let me know if you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment